Recently, we have noticed that Smart Share sometimes fails to give students read-only access to a file when a user tries to share a file that way. In such cases, students simply don't receive access to the file in question.
We believe that these failures stem from a bug in one of Google's services, so we're working on a solution with Google's engineering team. Meanwhile, we've set up systems to help prevent the bug from interfering with Smart Share. We'll post an update as soon as we believe that the issue has been resolved.
If you have any questions, concerns, or errors that you'd like to investigate, please don't hesitate to let us know. For now, though, have a very happy new year!