We'd like to update you on recent activities regarding Smart Share (or Smart Copy, in TD Classic). To achieve the desired effects regarding teacher visibility into student work, Smart Share uses a set of services that work through Google Drive’s API, ultimately delivering the desired document into a student’s folder. During this process, a ‘temp’ file is momentarily placed in the student's folder. It is then removed to complete the process.
What has happened:
An attempt to make Smart Share more efficient has led to undesirable results including:
- Files not copying to selected students
- Files taking longer than expected to process
- Temp files (expected behavior) not being removed from students’ folders
What we're doing to resolve the issue:
We are now implementing these processes to minimize impact in the classroom:
- Deploying new code changes to prevent errors when setting file permissions.
- Deleting 'temp' files that are still visible in Teacher Dashboard and students’ folders.
- Note: We will not delete temp files that have been modified.
- Re-running failed processes to ensure that all initiated Smart Share and Smart Copy processes are complete.
What to do if you experience continued failures:
Please email email@example.com. To expedite the process, please include Smart Share (if using Teacher Dashboard 2) or Smart Copy (if using TD Classic) in the subject line. Also include the class ID, student or teacher usernames, and file names involved. This information will help us resolve your issue more quickly.
Thank you for your patience while we work through this performance issue. We’re very sorry for any inconvenience this has caused, and we appreciate your feedback. For the latest updates, please subscribe to this blog.
Also, please remember that Teacher Dashboard Classic retires on March 31. You can start using Teacher Dashboard 2 right now by going to www.teacherdashboard.com.